Re: [stella] Piracy -- copyrights expired?

Subject: Re: [stella] Piracy -- copyrights expired?
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:57:20 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, John Saeger wrote:
> roms, but it was within 5 years.  I don't know of anyone doing anything
> similar over roms this long after the fact.  I see these rom images all over
> the place.  If it was really illegal, why doesn't anyone do anything about
> it?  Activision could certainly afford to do something.  I can't help but
> think that MAYBE the conventional wisdom is wrong.  Maybe nothing CAN be
> done.  Maybe it's legal.  I don't know.  I'm just trying to understand.  I'm
> not trying to promote or "rationalize" piracy.

How many piracy busts were there when 8-bit home computer software was at
its zenith and the impact of piracy was most keenly felt?  Very few.  That
is the nature of piracy.  It is hard to find, and you can't squeeze water
from a stone.  It's no secret that these companies are even LESS concerned
about their old software, and sad that they remain at all concerned about
it because...

The overall NEGATIVE net result of the non-prosecution yet the illegality
of ROM trading is HYPOCRISY when the issue of explicit distribution
permission is sought, either for nonprofit or profit.

Common sense indicates that inaction = consent, and ultimately breaking
the letter of the law is rewarded whereas go to these companies and
seeking to cut a deal PERPORTIONATE TO THEIR LIMITED COMMERCIAL VALUE,
PARTLY DUE TO THIS PROLIFERATION OF PIRACY, and they spout off unrealistic
figures or fail to deal with you at all.

They suffer the piracy and push away legitimate developers seeking to
re-release this product since it doesn't whet their $appetite$ enough.

Beyond the moral issue, this is what I find the most depressing.

I would much rather companies throw up their hands and officially sanction
free trading rather than waffling in this hypocritical fashion.