Re: [stella] Screen shots

Subject: Re: [stella] Screen shots
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:36:59 -0700 (MST)
>>Hmmm... couldn't an emulator have a "deflicker" feature, which does that
>>kind of thing in real time..? I think that it could work with some games
>>that have a regular flicker pattern..
>
>That's an interesting idea, but don't you think you would run the risk of
>developing a geme that looks great on the emulator, but when run on a real
>Atari looks poor? And what would be the maximum number of frames that would
>need to be OR'd together?  Each additional frame would require additional
>CPU power to process, and the graphics engine is already the hardest part to
>get to run fast.  Of course, these days it's less of a problem.

Indeed.... however, suppose we used a 320x400 tweaked VGA mode.  Put even
frames on even scanlines, odd frames on odd scanlines.... flickered objects
would merely have a Venetian-blind effect.  Objects that flicker at a
different rate than once per two frames, would flicker slightly less and
slowly vibrate.  And solid objects would stay solid, but they might leave
trails when they move.