Re: [stella] .byte and B&W questions

Subject: Re: [stella] .byte and B&W questions
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 98 12:07:45 -0500
>The # sign tells the assembler to interpret the following as a number
>instead of an address. If you leave it out, your program would read
>the value, that is in the zeropage address 06,

Well, that was certainly a brain-fart.  Thanks, I probably would have
never seen that either.  I have the numbers in binary (%11001110 or what
have you), so I'm going to claim that's what threw me off.  The colors
work now, btw.

>Also your program turns the Vsync signal off for three scanlines before
>it turns it on for another three scanlines. That is unnessessary.
>One STA Wsync before the STA Vsync to make sure the Vsync starts at the
>beginning of the scanline should be enough.

Thanks.  I haven't even started looking past "game calculations" (just
init'ing values) and the scan lines for now though.  The Vsync, etc is
all being done by Nick Bensema's template.  But that's not to say I would
have caught that later, so thanks again.

>Then your program sets the Tim64T timer during the three lines after
>the STA Vsync. Some TV sets can not sync to that and will produce
>a rolling picture. To make sure your program will work with most
>TVs the syncronizing sequence should look like:

Hmmm.  Have you tried the "How to Draw a Playfield" on Nick's site?
(http://www.primenet.com/~nickb/nbtia_1.asm)  I have seen this run on
PCAE, and I really haven't messed with the innards of the program much at
all.  I'm just wondering why the screen is nothing but black on PCAE, and
guessing that you might have been suggesting this was why.

Hopefully, the addresses in zero page were just #%XXXX000X in PCAE (and
something different in Stella).  I remember having some discussion a
while back about which emulators did what if you didn't initialize your
variables, and how the actual 2600 differed.  The only weird thing was
that when I changed the values for the bkgd and pf in my program (sans
the "#" symbol for absolute addressing), I got different shades of B&W in
Stella.  Go figure.

Thanks for your help, and I'll send some source next time.  Em@iler will
send files out UUencoded.  I'm sorry I didn't mention it before, but I do
have some source on the web at http://web.cetlink.net/~rufbo/JBPF3.asm,
though some of the comments don't match the code now that I've hacked it
some.  Again, I appreciate it!

Ruffin