Re: [stella] a $16 question...

Subject: Re: [stella] a $16 question...
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:01:10 -0800
Chris Wilkson - MCD wrote:

> > > In my earlier post, I mentioned that I can get *new* 2732 circuit boards made
> > > for about $1.50.  I can design the board in a couple of hours and have protos
> > > (lower quantiy = higher price) in 2 days.
> >
> > So, say you went a little further and built a 27128 board with some
> > decode gates and flip-flops that supported the same bank-switch
> > addresses as Atari 16K...  How much time and expense?  Coding for this
> > is a piece of cake, the dang boards are the only show-stopper to most
> > people.
>
> Well, that's a little more complicated in terms of component layout.
> Especially >compact< layout.  A few days, I'd say.  But if there's demand
> here then let me know, and I'll do it and get back to you.

This is a little sticky.  I'd be tempted to say, "Mark me down for a
100."  But I sure can't honestly ask you to plow ahead considering the
expense.  Maybe if several of us committed to at least a few each to
play around with, getting started on it would be justified.  I've got
all the EPROMs I need and would be more than happy to finally focus on
and clean up the less-than-fun, but works-in-an-emulator 16K version of
Dark Mage and then work on a significantly expanded TPS (Space
Taxi?)...  I figure a 16K game offering some neat twists to the 2600
library could be justifiable to collectors in the 25 dollar range so it
might work out okay.  Maybe?

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/