Re: [stella] Real or not? Why?

Subject: Re: [stella] Real or not? Why?
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:09:49 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Ruffin and I think that this is at best a static screenshot, and probably
> not a game in motion.  I'd be interested in hearing y'all's opinions on this,
> especially if someone on the group is making this.  Let us hear about it!

It would be believable if it were an Atari 8-bit port but there does seem
to be some tell-tale signs that this is a fake.

The meters on either end combined with the very wide but smooth laser
graphics really seem to be using more sprite hardware per scanline than
the 2600 can generate.  If it employed flicker, maybe, but otherwise no.
Also, the rainbowing in the meters seem to use colors outside of the
2600's palette but it's hard to tell for sure.

I'm fairly certain that, like Doom, this image was created with an Atari
8-bit.