Re: [stella] 6502 Asm References?

Subject: Re: [stella] 6502 Asm References?
From: "Erik J. Eid" <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:07:04
At 04:55 PM 3/18/98 -0500, Ruffin Bailey wrote:
>I have had some people email me about my Mac Atari programming page and
>ask where they can learn 6502 assembler.  I learned from an old book
>published by COMPUTE! but then they ain't in Greensboro no mo'.  :(
>Anybody have any ideas for references that would be easier to find today?

Actually, I managed to find that book.  I happened upon a copy of it about
a year back, shortly after the Stella CD came out, at a local shop that
does VCR repair and carries a large stock of Atari ST and some 8-bit
software and books.

The book in question is Richard Mansfield's _Machine Language for
Beginners_.  (ISBN 0-942386-11-6)  It's good in that it assumes the reader
knows nothing about assembly language and guides him or her through the
various types of instructions with short code fragments and lots of
explanation.  The list of opcodes, the different forms they can take
(absolute, indirect, etc.), and the flags they affect is a nice touch.

It's my only reference, so I can't really recommend anything.  Try checking
public and university libraries, particularly their old book sales.

You can also poke around the Usenet.  I did a search through AltaVista and
found references to the book in comp.sys.atari.8bit and comp.sys.cbm.