Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 13:08:41 +0200
At 10:33 02.04.98 -0500, you wrote:
>> will need a lot of ROM for the animations. And of course
>> drawing and calculating all those animation frames will be
>> a lot of work.
>
>ROM space is pretty much the only concern.  Calculating which frame to use
>is pretty simple, as long as all the frames are stored in ROM.

I meant you'll have to design 100 frames of animation and then
turn them into ROM data by hand. That would be a lot of work.

Maybe I should write a PCX to DATA converter, that would do
this automatically.

>right (approx 10 moves for each character, each with 10 frames.)  On
>the 2600, at double-scanline res, a single character frame would be 6
>bytes wide by about 50 bytes tall = 300 bytes/frame.  To get the detail
>level of MK1 on the 2600 (in monochrome, though), you'd need 300*94 =
>28200 bytes per character.   It'd be doable with one character, or two

You are right, but 50 bytes for each collumn would cross page
boundaries, wich would affect timing. I would say we go with
42 bytes, since 42*6=252, which would fit nicely into one page.

Or since some of the collumns would look the same in different
animation frames, maybe we should store the data column wise
and use a table, that tells us which collumn to use for which
animation frame. That might save some space.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg