Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:10:53 -0500 (EST)
> >ROM space is pretty much the only concern.  Calculating which frame to use
> >is pretty simple, as long as all the frames are stored in ROM.
>
> I meant you'll have to design 100 frames of animation and then
> turn them into ROM data by hand. That would be a lot of work.
>
> Maybe I should write a PCX to DATA converter, that would do
> this automatically.

Right, drawing them would be a little bit lengthy.  I could hack together
something to convert from a raw bitmap (not Windows BMP, different) to
what the 2600 would need fairly easily, though.

> You are right, but 50 bytes for each collumn would cross page
> boundaries, wich would affect timing. I would say we go with
> 42 bytes, since 42*6=252, which would fit nicely into one page.

Ah, right, I didn't think of that.  One page per frame would work, then.

Also, it might be preferable to drop the sprites down to 40 pixels wide,
and use the sixth byte for color, so the characters don't have to be
monochrome.

> Or since some of the collumns would look the same in different
> animation frames, maybe we should store the data column wise
> and use a table, that tells us which collumn to use for which
> animation frame. That might save some space.

I don't think there's enough CPU time to do anything but straightforward
loads and stores during the megasprite, no?