Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:48:10 +0200
At 13:10 03.04.98 -0500, you wrote:

>Also, it might be preferable to drop the sprites down to 40 pixels wide,
>and use the sixth byte for color, so the characters don't have to be
>monochrome.

I'm not sure whether to use bigger sprites or colour. I think
we need to try it out and see which one looks better.

>> Or since some of the collumns would look the same in different
>> animation frames, maybe we should store the data column wise
>> and use a table, that tells us which collumn to use for which
>> animation frame. That might save some space.
>
>I don't think there's enough CPU time to do anything but straightforward
>loads and stores during the megasprite, no?

I think, I need to learn how to make myself clear. :-)

With collumns I meant the 6 bytes, which make up the sprite.
For example, if we have graphics for a high and a low punch
to the right with 4 animation frames each, then only the 3 or
4 bytes on the right side would change. The 2 or 3 bytes on
the left might be the same in all frames. If we use a table,
that says which collumn to use in what animation frame, and
if we set up the sprite pointers accordingly at the beginning
of a displayed frame, we might be able to fit in enough data
for a middle punch animation in the same 2kb bank.

BTW, in the double scanline version there are 28 cycles
left to spare for both lines together, although you only
get 22 of them in a row.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg