Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: jeffgamer@xxxxxxxxxxxx (jeff rothkopf)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
>>There's also another issue we haven't touched - how do you do controls for
>>high punch, high kick, low punch, low kick, and block with only one
>>button?! :)
>
>If the 17 possibilities, that a one button joystick offers are
>not enough, we could use Budokan's control scheme. Moving the
>stick to any of the 9 possible positions would start some basic
>movements like stepping or bending to the sides or jumping etc.
>If you press the button during that movement and press the stick
>in a different position, some special attack would be startet.

As one who thus far has only programmed his VCR and a few games in BASIC
and PASCAL waaaay back in high school, my thoughts here may be totally
naive, but I got to thinking.  The Atari 2600 has the keypad controllers
available for it, with mutliple buttons available.  I know that the
Colecovision controllers can be used on the 2600 as a joystick...I recall
doing so years ago.  Would it be possible to use a Colecovision joystick on
an Atari 2600, thus combining the play action of a joystick with the
increased number of possible combinations that the CV keypad allows for?
This could greatly increase the number of moves one could employ in a game
like MK.

IMPORTANT:  I'm moving to a new home on April 1 (I'm finally becoming a
homeowner!), and will be exceedingly busy with packing and preparations.
This will add to my already heavy off-line demands, which could lead to
some delays in responding to  e-mail messages.  Feel free to send me gentle
reminder messages if you don't hear back from me after a couple of days, or
even to phone me if you feel the need...

*** Screenwriter, Songwriter, Playwright, Novelist
*** Tutor for SAT, GRE, LSAT, GMAT, SSAT, PSAT, TOEFL, English, Grammar,
    Writing, History, Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, Science, Psychology
    Study Skills
*** Psychologist (Ph.D from the University of Miami).
*** Professor/Teacher at Miami-Dade Community College
*** Collector of Atari 2600, 5200, 7800; Colecovision; Intellivision; Odyssey;
    Microvision; Adventurevision; Virtual Boy; & Vectrex.  Also collect many
    other classic videogame and 8-bit computer systems, carts, and
    peripherals, such as Bally or Texas Instruments TI99.  Will buy and
    trade items.  Will also sell some of my extras.

=== Jeffrey S. Rothkopf, 305-378-6133