Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 02:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
I just wish the game could use the paddle instead of the joystick.  It's
really crying out for that, but I can understand how the CPU demands of
reading the paddle would be mutually exclusive with the busy sprite
sharing kernel.

I suppose it's an aesthetic consideration more than anything else, but I
also find the sprites to be rather large and blocky looking compared to
the norm of mid to later period 2600 software from which most "modern"
2600 stock is styled.

A big part of that is using double line res, of course, but also Bob seems
to be using the full 8 bits for almost all his sprite shapes.  Bombs are a
good example.  The bombs look rather abstract due to their large size
relative to the planes.  Same with the parachutists.  If you went with
double-line res then you could reduce these down much smaller (ala Rescue)
for a more perportional feel, but again, this is a stylistic issue and has
little relevance to gameplay per se although I assume it's much easier to
hit larger targets.

Lastly it still seems as if the game falls into 15 or even 7hz flicker at
times.  Although it doesn't do this unless absolutely necessary I would
hope that the game would be designed in such a way to eliminate this.

Games such as Stargate and Radar Lock actually code their AI movements in
such a way to avoid this sort of thing.  Everything is zoned out so that
when sprites cross you only get down to 30hz flicker.  I know Bob wants
total and absolute freedom in sprite movement, but careful and judiciously
coded game AI can help eliminate flicker without the user being that aware
of the movement constraints.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page http://www.primenet.com/~krishna                ==