Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: the big sprite
From: bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:52:37 -0400 (EDT)

> At 10:22 10.04.98 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >How about using the Booster-Grip controller?  It has two more buttons
> >hooked to the paddle inputs.  The next release of Stella will support
> >this controller and PCAE already supports it I think.  I made some
> >tech notes describing how it works if anyone is interested...
>
> It would be nice, if you could send them to the list, but I think
> for this game the Booster-Grip would be inapropriate, since not
> that many people have two of them.

Maybe it could be a runtime option and the user could choose which
controller to use.  There maybe a joystick out there that can be
easily converted into a Booster-Grip compatiable controller.

The Booster-Grip information is included below. You'll probably need
a little more information to actually write a program to use it
but it's a start :-)

The following information describes how the CBS Booster-Grip controller
works.  This information was collected by examining the code for Omega Race.

  SWCHA bits are as follows:

    D7    right    P0   (0 means switch is pressed)
    D6    left     P0
    D5    down     P0
    D4    up       P0

    D3    right    P1
    D2    left     P1
    D1    down     P1
    D0    up       P1

    (P0 = left, P1 = right)

  INPT4:

    D7    fire     P0   (0 means fire button is pressed)
    D6-D0 unused

  INPT5:

    D7    fire     P1   (0 means fire button is pressed)
    D6-D0 unused

  INPT0:

    D7    trigger  P0   (1 means trigger is pressed on Booster-Grip)
    D6-D0 unused

  INPT1:

    D7    booster  P0   (1 means booster is pressed on Booster-Grip)
    D6-D0 unused

  INPT2:

    D7    trigger  P1   (1 means trigger is pressed on Booster-Grip)
    D6-D0 unused

  INPT3:

    D7    booster  P1   (1 means booster is pressed on Booster-Grip)
    D6-D0 unused

So it seems that the Booster-Grip has a total of three "fire" buttons.
It's also the case that all of the standard Atari Joystick connections
are the same when using the Booster-Grip.  The main thing to notice
is that the Booster-Grip buttons are active when D7=1 and the normal
Atari Joystick fire button is active when D7=0 :-)

Bradford W. Mott (bwmott@xxxxxxx)          Computer Science Department
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwmott/www           North Carolina State University