Re: [stella] Megacart Specs

Subject: Re: [stella] Megacart Specs
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:18:51 +0200
At 18:03 12.04.98 -0700, you wrote:

>Ok, I checked, and $EXXX addresses are out of the question.  So that leaves
>us with either 1K or 2K blocks.  My thinking when I chose 1K blocks was that
>you could have more than one switchable slot at any given time.  1K really is
>a lot of space for a given data segment.  And very few subroutines would take
>up more than 1K.  This was my thinking, but I'm not writing games at this
>point.  What do the current game authors think??

I would prefer 1kb segments. As you said, most data structures or
subroutines don't get larger than that. And if they do, one could
switch several 1kb banks together. Larger banks would only require
redundant code and make planing your code/data layout more complicated.
Also, when using 2kb RAM segments, you would reduce the available
code to alter the RAM significantely, although you normally don't
need that much RAM together. 1kb segments are a lot more flexible,
while 2kb segments would only save you 4bytes of code per bankswitch.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg