Re: [stella] Games that do bad things to HMOVE...

Subject: Re: [stella] Games that do bad things to HMOVE...
From: bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
> Just a suggestion, but how about incorporating an interactive debugger into
> stella?  It wouldn't be difficult, the only requirement necessary would be
> that a list file be generated with the source code.  I'd be interested in
> helping with this as it would be of a GREAT benefit for programmers.  The
> list file generated by Distella would basically be the map between the .bin
> file and the .s file.

I am planning on having a debugger in the next release of Stella.  I think
it would be a great idea to have a source level debugger that allows the user
to load in a listing file and have the debugger use it.  I'll look into this
for the debugger.  It'll probably have two modes one for a listing file and
another one that just disassembles the code from ROM (like PCAE).

For me to get this right I'll need sample listing files from the various
assemblers and disassemblers.  Which ones should I support (Dasm, Distella)?

What do you all think about an integrated assembler?  Instead of loading
a bin file into Stella you would load an aseembly file and it would assemble
it for you, generate a listing file for the debugger, and start it up...

> Also, any idea why my game demo doesn't work with Stella?  I can get you
> the source if you'd like!  I can tell you that the game is using
> Supercharger bankswitching, but not SC RAM, and maybe Stella doesn't
> recognize that, though I thought I tried to force the issue with no luck.

I'm not sure why it's not working.  I tried it a few weeks ago and I was
able to get a screen to appear but it wasn't very stable.  Right now I'm
focusing on improving TIA emulation and I haven't even started thinking
about Supercharger improvements.  I'll probably start that in a week or
two.  I'm sure the source code would come in handy at that time.

Later,
Brad

Bradford W. Mott (bwmott@xxxxxxx)          Computer Science Department
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwmott/www           North Carolina State University