RE: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)

Subject: RE: [stella] Formats (64K Flat Model??)
From: "Ruffin Bailey" <ruffin91@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 07:36:31 PDT

>> Even
>> if cost is a reason, what _would_ something like a
>> one-meg-o'-ROM-I-dare-you-to-use-it-all cart cost to make (and does
>> anyone know how to make it)?
>
>  About $20-30, I think.  But it really would be next to impossible
>  to find a practical use for more than a few K.  Besides, that kills >
the nostalgia...

Well, in my Jumpman clone (which has been pretty much placed on hold
until this summer), it wouldn't be too tough to create an algorithm that
created quite playable boards by itself.  Since 50-60 _fancy_ boards
could take up 64K without any trouble, I wouldn't mind seeing a larger
cart.  And I just figured while we were at it, might as well
over-engineer than not!  ;)  Not to mention all the timing issues than
can be circumvented by having creative branching in your now very long
display drawing kernal.

And I will have to respectfully disagree with your assertion than this
mythical 1 meg cart (by 1 meg, I merely meant to symbolize "much bigger
than we anticipate needing") would kill the nostalgia.  If it's got two
sprites, reflected/mirrored playfields, whatever groovy sound chip is in
there, and a 6507 to run the whole shibang (leaving the display sync to
the software), it's going to walk, talk, and look like a duck, er,
2600!!!

Ruffin Bailey
rufbo at cetlink.net