Re: Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:50:01 +0200
On Thu May 14 12:33:22 1998, A. Davie wrote:

>>I've considered that flashing might be used in another Pac-Man
>>port.  One frame would render the maze, and one would render the
>>dots.

I've already seen other pacman variants on the 2600. An interesting one,
from technical manners, that is, is called "Alien" or "Aliens", I think.

>Strangely, I have already written several pacmans - officially - including
>Super Pacman and Pacman Junior on the C64 (both released) - way back when -
>and my own Atari 800 pacman clone even earlier than that :)

Was Super Pacman an official clone of the Arcade Super Pac-Man? I never
heard of that C-64 program. Which company released it? Do they still
sell it? - If not, what do you think about the copyright issues here?
Was Pacman Junior the one that didn't scroll, although the Arcade
version did (and the 2600 version as well - horizontally)?

>> The maze would be blue on black background (like it's SUPPOSED
>>to be) while the dots would be greyish or yellow.  This way we
>>could create a more arcade-accurate maze and a less strenuous kernel
>>per-frame.  An additional advantage of this is that any other
>>objects that are flashing on alternate frames will appear solid,
>>in comparison.  Other details, though, are unresolved... including
>>who will code this thing, and if me, when will I have the time?
>
>Well, maybe me after I've finished project #1 :)  But I'm afraid I'd be sued
>if I really tried to release the thing.  We'll have to rename it munchman or
>something ;)  I expect this would be quite a quick project.

No, not Munchman! A Pacman rip-off on the TI-99/4A home computer was
already called Munch Man. But I don't know if they claim copyright on
that name. I'll look at home... if they do, it must be mentioned in the
manual that came with the cart.

With love (and many dots and fruits to eat - or to flicker?)

Kurt Woloch