Re: Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] playfield on-the-fly updates
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 14 May 1998 kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've already seen other pacman variants on the 2600. An interesting one,
> from technical manners, that is, is called "Alien" or "Aliens", I think.

Alien was writte by Doug Neubauer for Fox under the pseudonym of Dallas
North.

It used sprites for dots rather than playfield, and staggered them
vertically to fill the entire screen, combined with a decent flicker
algorithm.

Later on Doug refined his sprite sharing routines for the most technically
advanced 2600 games out there, namely Solaris, Super Football, and Radar
Lock.

I still have Doug's source code printout to Solaris.  One of these days I
will photocopy it for Bob Colbert to transcribe.