RE: [stella] optimization : sneaky fractional bit representation

Subject: RE: [stella] optimization : sneaky fractional bit representation
From: "David C. Schweinsberg" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 01:00:19 +0100
Hmmm...  Yes, I've done this sort of thing when writing adventure games for
the Casio PB-100 (trying to cram everything into 1.5KB), although the
advantage there was that space was the problem, and *not* time.  Trying to
perform a division in limited time is a real pain, whereas shifting bits
always takes the same amount of time.

This has always been the big issue for me with the 2600 - time.  Early on I
spent days inventing really "clever" encoding schemes for my vast game
landscapes, only to find I'd never have the time to decode it quickly enough
:(.

I've tried to push playfield graphics hard with my platform game - Droid -
which you probably won't have seen because I haven't posted a version since
you joined the list (RSN though!).  I'm going to tidy up the source code so
I can post the next version with full source - and I'd welcome your views
and comments!

BTW guys, you won't be seeing my name on any upcoming Psygnosis games,
because I turned the job down :(.  My big game programming break has come
and gone - oh well.  The 2600 is once again my primary platform!