[stella] Re: playfield on-the-fly updates (Pac-Man)

Subject: [stella] Re: playfield on-the-fly updates (Pac-Man)
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 10:01:11 +0200
Nick B. wrote:

>Perhaps.  But if it's one of those games that's available on the Net
>and on a cartridge as well, you can make it shareware.  Kurt Dekker got
>away with a lot of arcade ports this way, and I'm sure he's not the
>only one.  The registered version comes on a cartridge in this case;
>that's the only difference.

I've also got a german PC port shareware program called Pacman. I'm sure
this one isn't licenced, still the creator of this doesn't seem to have
been sued yet, though the program is out for 5 years now.

And Eckhard Stolberg:

>PAL:  312 lines * 50Hz = 15600 lines per second
>NTSC: 262 lines * 60Hz = 15720 lines per second

>So PAL seems to be doing 120 scanlines per second less than NTSC.

This could be a rounding error. The normal PAL frequency is, as far as I
know, 312,5 lines (in normal interlaced TV). 50 Hz as well states the
normal TV frequency. So, if you only display 312 lines on every frame,
the Hz have to be a bit faster (?!)

With love (and many scanlines to sync to)
Kurt Woloch