Re: [stella] PAL/NTSC issues

Subject: Re: [stella] PAL/NTSC issues
From: "José Carlos" <zezao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:41:39 -0300
Please, do not send me more msg!!!

Piero Cavina wrote:

At 09.54 18/05/98 +0200, kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>And from Piero Cavina:
>
>>BTW, I haven't yet found a PAL tv which can't sync to the NTSC version of
>>Oystron, so this feature could be considered useless.. but it's great fun
>>to switch the mode on the fly, and see the TV lose sync for a couple of
>>seconds... :-)
>
>It should affect game speed too... since PAL is 50 Hz and NTSC is 60 Hz,
>it should run 20% faster on NTSC. Or did you take care of that too?

Sure, the game plays slower in PAL..  it's definitely better in NTSC. I
didn't care of timing and speed conversions because the game is so heavily
optimized, that there's absoultely no space for the extra code and RAM that
would be needed.
Oystron must be played in NTSC mode on PAL tvs, so use PAL mode only if
you're very unlucky and your TV can't sync to it at all. Or buy another TV ;)

>In this case, I really consider *purchasing* an Oystron cart (as it was
>stated in the survey we all should fill out).

Where's the problem... buy it anyway.. :)

>Is it easy to get one to
>Austria (from Italy, or whereever it's produced), or does the paying
>issue make it impossible? Has anyone got experience with the paying
>issue?

I don't sell the carts, Randy Chrifield takes care of everything. He's on
this list, please ask him..

Ciao,
 P.