Re: [stella] Randy Crihfield's address

Subject: Re: [stella] Randy Crihfield's address
From: Songbird <forhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:48:02 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 20 May 1998, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> The manufacturing cost of Jaguar games is so high that the remaining Jag
> users, die hards or not, will probably not buy them.  Because of this, and
> because the 2600 enjoyed such a larger market share for far longer than
> the Jag did, and because the 2600 enjoys more of a retro chic and the Jag
> just looks like a dated next-gen machine, I believe there is MORE of a
> market out there for new 2600 carts than for new Jag carts.

I'll certainly agree that the 2600 had and probably still has broader
appeal than the Jag, but all the new Jag and Lynx games published since
"Atari's demise" in 1996 have sold at least a few hundred copies apiece.
Not "big numbers" by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to keep
the publishers interested.

> It sounds crazy, but it's got to be true.
>
> I think the only Jag game that will sell in large numbers will be
> Battlesphere.

Yeah, the fact that BS networks and is a phenomonal game means that pretty
much any Jag supporter will buy not one but two copies.

Still, the concept of having a company like Telegames actually pick up new
2600 games is intriguing... they might go for it if they could get
"acceptable" (in their minds) artwork, cart boxes, etc.  However, I highly
doubt we'd see prices < $20 any more for such items.  They'd probably want
at least $29.95 MSRP for a new game.