Re: [stella] Randy Crihfield's address

Subject: Re: [stella] Randy Crihfield's address
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 20 May 1998, Nick S Bensema wrote:
> Perhaps that's what it would cost, but it might be more than many
> people would pay for a 2600 game.  My guess is, your market would
> consist mostly of collectors.

We're really just talking about theoretical demographics.  What do you
think the difference is in potential sales of a cart with full color
label, box and manual at $30 vs. a rejuvenated Pac Man cartridge with an
ink-jet label and no docs and no box at $15?

I know I would get the former, and not because of collectibility, but
because of value.  I value the presentation, not just the game itself.

There are so few new 2600 games that I'd hardly bankrupt myself by paying
extra.

> And keep in mind that some Game Boy games are down to $19.95 now,
> as are Genesis games.  Tetris Jr. machines run under ten dollars;
> I've seen them as low as $6.95.

The consumer is not weighing the merits of a $20 Gameboy game vs. the VCS
when thinking about a 2600 game purchase.  People buy 2600 games because
they specifically want to play a 2600 game.  Therefore, the 2600 market
does not compete directly with any other market.  Any new 2600 game
competes only with comparable new games, and there isn't much competition
at all which means any new 2600 game can be assured of a certain amount
of sales within its niche.

It's a specialty market like making vinyl 45s of 90s records (in an era
where vinyl is dead) to be used on old juke boxes.  Vinyl vs. CD single
doesn't apply because those people want to be able to update their old
juke boxes with new music.