Re: [stella] alt.atari.2600.programming - proposal

Subject: Re: [stella] alt.atari.2600.programming - proposal
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:50:00 -0700 (MST)
> The thing is, it's such a small club, I'd assume most anyone who wants to
> program for the VCS has already subscribed, so why go elsewhere?  --and if
> you go, you'll just bump into the same posters, so isn't it a duplication
> of effort?

Well, I'm aware of a few people who refuse to join the list for political
reasons.  I know most of these people from... you guessed it: IRC!

On Usenet, their presence would result, inevitably, in flame wars.
Not like the wimpy one-week flame wars we have sometimes now, but
freaky stupid flame wars where every other message is "If Adolf Hitler
programmed the VCS, THAT's the way he'd distribute it!"

But that's what killfiles are for.  Do mailers support a killfile for
threads in a mailing list?

> I think a mailing list is well suited for this kind of niche
> subjectmatter, and biglist's threaded HTML archive is very nice.  I don't
> even have to archive Stella messages locally because of this.

Another argument against Usenet, since most of these IRC guys read the
archives every now and again.