[stella] How many scanlines do they do?

Subject: [stella] How many scanlines do they do?
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:28:43 +0200
Wanna know how many scanlines a specific cart does (or, if you got an
NTSC cart on your PAL system)? Well, it's easy if you've got a video
camera.
Hook up your 2600 with the cart inserted and turn it and the screen on.
Then point the camera to the screen, turn on the high-speed shutter and
look through the viewfinder. You'll see a light bar on the screen that
moves slowly up or down. By the way and speed it does this, you can tell
how many scanlines your carts are actually doing.
For all of my Atari and Activision carts (PAL, that is), the number of
lines seems to be the same. However, it differs on some third-party
carts, like Cakewalk, Smurf, Carnival and Black Hole. But none of my
carts seem to have been left with the NTSC line number, for that would
produce a rapidly moving bar. I'll come up with a detailed list later...

With love (and many scanlines to do)
Kurt Woloch