Re: [stella] Jim Nitchals

Subject: Re: [stella] Jim Nitchals
From: Chris Cracknell <crackers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:14:54 -0400 (EDT)
In article <199806100301.XAA08414@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:
>Just wanted to post what I found at http://dadgum.com/glist/updates.html
>on Jim in case anyone was interested.  Thanks to Bill Heineman for
>pointing this page out to me.  I was both impressed and a more than a bit
>honored that the list includes such "big names" among its ranks.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

It's such a strange sensation to deeply mourn the loss of a person
you've never met, whose voice you've never heard, and who has only
had contact with you in the form of ASCII text on a computer screen.

Not only have we lost a guru, but a friend.

I had talked with him in e-mail off this list a number of times on a number
of subjects and it is sad to think that all the "secret" projects of his
will now be lost forever.

We talked a lot about the 2600's sound and about creating a Midi interface
for it. He had also told me of a program he wrote for the 2600
that turned it into a 4 voice digital synth and completely threw the machine's
sound limitations out the window.

Because of his contractual obligations with Headspace (a company founded
and run by Thomas Dolby) he was holding off the release of this
2600 program and the supporting development software for it until he had
ironed out some details with Headspace.

There were other programs and projects too he told me of but wich had
not been completed yet and saddly never will be.

I will never be able to write 6502 code without giving a thought to
Jim. Such an important part of this e-mail list is missing now.

Does anyone have any details yet on his death?

So long Jim. The knowledge you've shared with us will live on as
long as there are 2600s in the world.

                                    CRACKERS
                            (Heavy hearted from hell!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/