Re: [stella] New & Used Video Games

Subject: Re: [stella] New & Used Video Games
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 98 22:43:20 -0500
>>Just on a side note, how do people get on the list and bug us like this,
>>Glenn?  Is it because of the web site?
>
>Their note said as much -- they browsed through and got the address.

I didn't start early enough (luckily my email address is changing in the
near future), but just as a caution, you should probably always write
your email address out "longhand" in your sigs within posts to the list
(or USENET of course, etc).  For example, johndoe@xxxxxxx would be "john
doe at loa dot com".

(I wonder if poor johndoe@xxxxxxx will start getting spam?  Sorry John! ;)

I also ran into a short javascript to put a "spider-bot proof" mailto on
your web pages.  Though the text of the mailto isn't your address, the
address will come up correctly on someone's mail handler if they click
your link.  Here's how it looks on the new Mactari pages:

<!--// SpamProof Mail Script 1.0
// by Joseph McLean <flux at thecentre.com> - freeware
// Linktext is the text you want  folks to see and click upon.
// email1 & email2 are the text on either side of your
// email address's @ sign.
var linktext = "mactari at aol dot com"
var email1 = "mactari"
var email2 = "aol.com"
document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + email1 + "@" + email2 + ">" +
linktext + "</a>")

It is a pain to jump through hoops like that, and I'm sure there are some
spider-bots that are starting to take this trick into account, but
mactari hasn't gotten spam yet...  Sorry to go off on the tangent, but
Matt and I are contractually bound to follow up each other's posts.  ;)

Ruffin Bailey         |  Program for the Atari 2600 on your Mac!
rufbo at cetlink.net  |  http://members.aol.com/~mactari