About SHIPS.ASM (was: Re: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo)

Subject: About SHIPS.ASM (was: Re: [stella] Jim's heart will go on demo)
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:09:56 +0200
At 9:31 +0200 12-06-1998, <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello Folks!
>
>This is my first demo. In remembering of Jim Nitchals, I called it
>"Jim's heart will go on demo". I send the BIN along with the ASM source

Nice effort, but I would arrange the whole thing in a different way. Sorry,
but you'll have to change everything if you want to do it in this way...
the meaning of the "sinking level" changes, and so the tables with the
graphics etc. :-)
But why should you change it...? Because there might be a moment when
you'll be crying for processor cycles...

I did something very much like this for an unreleased version of my old
multi-sprite demo, which featured vertically-scrolling sprites.

; initialize Y and jump to kernel:, line2:, line3: or line4:
; to enter the main loop according to the sinking level
; if you don't enter the loop from kernel: you'll have to initialize the
graphic registers too -
; obviously, this is easier to say than to do :-)

kernel:
 STA WSYNC
 LDA ForeColor,Y
 STA COLUPF
 LDA PF1Graphics,Y
 STA PF1
 LDA PF2Graphics,Y
 STA PF2
 (...you may put your code for sprites and missiles here...)

line2:
 STA WSYNC
 (...even more cycles for your stuff here...)

line3:
 STA WSYNC
 (...or here...remember that in the kernel, we're often preparing things in
advance...)
 (...ie you might need to do some math here for use in the next scanline...)

line4:
 STA WSYNC
 (...as above...)

 DEY  ; always try to count backwards
 BPL kernel ; or BMI-JMP if the branch comes to be out of range

Also, give a look at Fishing Derby for some cool water-surface effects...
they wouldn't be out of place here.

Ciao,
 P.