Re: [stella] [OT] Q*Bert

Subject: Re: [stella] [OT] Q*Bert
From: <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:17:52 +0200
On Tue Jun 16 22:54:57 1998, Piero Cavina wrote:

>Here you will find a piece about the birth of Q*Bert from the game designer
>himself:
>
>http://www.coinop.org/coinop/features/qbstory.html
>
>I know this is absolutely OT, but it is such a nice tale of the early
>videogames years that I wanted to share it with you anyway! :-)

Congratulations on finding this! I found it three months before (before
I subscribed to Stella), and here's how the story goes on:
Since they write at the bottom that Warren Davis loves to hear from
Q*bert fans, and I already admitted I am one, I wrote him an
E-mail, also asking what he thought about MAME (that great arcade
emulator, in case you didn't hear of that as well), and also if anyone
else could expect to see his never-released sequel, Faster Harder More
Challenging Q*bert, and who owns the Q*bert rights nowadays, and blah
blah blah... I still have the E-mail stored somewhere in case someone of
you is interested.
Anyway, unexpectedly, a few weeks later he answered, telling me also
that he'd like to release FHMC Q*bert (the abbreviation he uses) for
MAME. Well, I didn't think much about it until late April, when I
visited the MAME message board on www.davesclassics.com, and someone had
written something about this game and the chances it could appear for
MAME. There was a reply saying someone had tried to e-mail Warren Davis
about this, and never got an answer. Well, I posted a message saying he
did answer me and he said he'd like to release it for MAME.
As a result of this message of mine, a friend of a MAME developer, who
also works at Disney like Warren, contacted him and got the ROM's. So,
since May 8th, this game is supported by the current MAME beta's. By the
way, I mentioned this earlier, in my message "Re: Re: [stella]
Six-sprite slot machine?" from May 11th. Finally, a few weeks later I
read an interview with Nicola Salmoria, the initiator of MAME, on the
net, where he mentioned the emulation of this game as one of the top
three highlights in the emulation scene.
Sorry if I bragged, just thought you might be interested in that too.

With love (and many moving flying discs to catch)
Kurt Woloch