Re: [stella] [OT] Q*Bert

Subject: Re: [stella] [OT] Q*Bert
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:29:28 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> As a result of this message of mine, a friend of a MAME developer, who
> also works at Disney like Warren, contacted him and got the ROM's. So,
> since May 8th, this game is supported by the current MAME beta's. By the

This is a familiar anecdote to me as there are similar stories Jim might
have been able to tell you involving saving Meteroids and the sourcecode
from old Apple II floppies and Russ about getting Polo for the Starpath CD
(plus more stuff unearthed which has yet to be fully disclosed).  It's
that kind of networking that helps grease the wheels of the "digital
historian" movement, so to speak.

You have to keep your eyes open and be ready to ask these classic
programmers what they have hiding in their basements when the opportunity
presents itself.

These guys just aren't going to go to the effort of preserving their
history on their own.  They need an enthusiast to cajole them.

And you just never know how long this stuff will remain salvageable.
Bitrot is a real phenomenon, let alone deteriorating old floppy disks, and
sometimes these people have just thrown out their old stuff, or are about
to when you make the call.

Now is the time to ask the questions and get this stuff in the hands of
those who can properly archive it before it's gone and forgotten.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page http://www.primenet.com/~krishna                ==