Re: [stella] SWCHA and Stella

Subject: Re: [stella] SWCHA and Stella
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 03:10:02 GMT
>Turns out that you can get three directions out of each joystick at any
>one time with Stella, but only if you press the keys on the keyboard in
>the right order.  With the "player one joystick", if you move up-down (in
>any order) first, you can then add left but right will not register.  Or
>you can move right-left first (again both at the same time, whichever
>first) and then add down.  You cannot add up before or after down while
>holding down left & right.

That's an artifact of the PC keyboard, not of Stella.  It's common
knowledge among PC programmers.  Because of the switch-matrix nature of the
PC keyboard (it's hard to describe, but suffice it to say that the
electronics inside the keyboard only have about a 25-pin connection to the
key contacts), the PC won't always respond to all combinations of keys.
The number of keys and which ones respond varies by keyboard.

>Any reason it does this and is there any truth to this pattern with a
>real 2600?

Yes.  No.

>Have fun, and I'm garnering more and more respect for Bob, Piero, Greg et
>al with every attempt to code this bugger!

Oh, sure, I'm just "et al"? :)