[stella] Win 95 Cross Assembler

Subject: [stella] Win 95 Cross Assembler
From: jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 12:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
If anyone is interested, there is a gentleman who has been posting to
comp.sys.cbm (the Commodore computers newsgroup) talking about writing
a C=64/128 cross assembler for Windows 95.  He plans to make it a complete
development tool which sounds much like the IDEs available for C/C++
where you have projects and multiple files.  However, when I wrote him
he didn't see why it couldn't be used for other 6502 based machines, but
that if we had specific requests, that we should let him know.

I think this could be a good opportunity for us to get a good development
tool for Windows 95 users.  I'd like to know what kinds of things we'd need
to tell him to include or make available in the program.  The main things
that I can think of are:

1) The ability to write a raw binary without the two byte "header" that
Commodore programs use.  This is what the -f3 flag does when you use DASM.

2) We'd need to be able to include our own vcs.h type of file that would give
us the handy names for WSYNC, VBLANK, etc.  And we'd need these to override
any built-in names for these memory locations in case they have special
meanings on the C=64/128.

3) We'd need to be able to customize the diassembler in the same way so that
we got output like DiStella gives.  (BTW, Bob, DiStella is pretty cool...
I used it just the other day to see how it worked.)

If there are any other requests, let me know or contact me and I'll give
you the guy's email address.  Alternatively, you could go to comp.sys.cbm
and look for the thread on the PC cross assembler.

Thanks,
matt