RE: [stella] A new version of an old assembler.

Subject: RE: [stella] A new version of an old assembler.
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:54:26 -0700
Why another assembler?

Well I wanted to play around with the 6502's so-called undocumented
instructions on the 2600, and none of the available assemblers support them.
I didn't modify TASM because it's guiltware, they want money.  I did modify
DASM, but a restrictive copyright prohibits my sharing my improvements.  I
wanted something that was free to modify and free to share.  So I did some
internet archaeology, and here's what I came up with.  An old assembler
(as6502) written in C by J. H. Van Ornum at AT&T Bell Labs around 1984 or
1985.  I modified it to output a raw binary file which is suitable for Atari
2600 use, and I gave it the ability to assemble the undocumented
instructions.  A file called undoc.asm is included in the archive describing
the available instructions.

John Saeger