Re: [stella] Beat 'em up 05

Subject: Re: [stella] Beat 'em up 05
From: bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:16:10 -0400 (EDT)
> At 13:25 01.08.98 -0700, you wrote:
> >pipe Eckhard!  As for bank-switching more ROM for graphics, I'd suggest
> >you talk to Kevin Horton about how to do the Tigervision method, which
> >is supposed to let you go all the way to 32k with a logical 2K permanent
> >bank, swapping in 2K chunks with a simple LDA/STA sequence, and
> >supposedly can do this with fewer chips than any other known method...
>
> That would be exactly what I need. I'll see if he wants to
> share his knowledge with me. Or has anyone else here already
> got the information from him.

Just take a look at Kevin's bank-switching document at:

  http://members.iquest.net/~khorton/files/sizes.txt

I believe it has all the information you'll need about the
3F bank-switching scheme.  The original Tigervision method only
used 4 2K slices with made it an 8K cart.  However, if you use all
8 bits of 3F then you could have 256 2K slices for a total of
512K.  The latest version of Stella should support 3F carts of
up to 512K so if you need the space it's their (I believe PCAE
supports this as well).

> BTW Chris, how is the Megacart going. :-)

Hopefully, Stella will support the Megacart in the final 1.0
release.  If you'd like to use it then let me know and I'll
bump it up on the priority list.

Brad

Bradford W. Mott (bwmott@xxxxxxx)          Computer Science Department
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwmott/www           North Carolina State University