Re: [stella] Beat 'em up 05

Subject: Re: [stella] Beat 'em up 05
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 02:34:19 GMT
>Some time ago we were discussing the possibility of turning
>the big sprites demo into a Mortal Kombat clone. I have worked
>a little bit on the demo and got a basic display kernal done.
>
>This version shows a possible screen layout and some simple
>animations. I have to admit, that the demo looks more like
>International Karate than like Mortal Kombat, though.

Get more frames of animation moving around a lot faster and it'll look
closer to MK.

>The biggest problem is, that I need more ROM space now. Does
>anyone have a working board design with at least 32 kb of
>bankswitched ROM?

Tigervision, of course.  Kevin Horton's got the goods on that... maybe
contact him on his gametech list if that's still around and he's not
listening here.

>Also I might need some help with the animations. It took me
>several days even to get the two frames in the demo done, and
>I still don't really like them. If someone thinks he can draw
>better animations than this and would like to help me with the
>game, please contact me.

They look decent, and about as good as they're going to get without
squishing it into single-res or adding color gradient.  I'm no artist,
though, so I can't help ya here.

>Any other comment about this demo is of course welcome too.

ummm... if you put both players on top of each other (move the left guy
allt he way over without touching the right guy) it looks like a really
large-chested babe facing you :)