Re: [stella] Distella --> DAsm problem

Subject: Re: [stella] Distella --> DAsm problem
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 20:36:12 +0200
At 13.55 21/08/98 -0000, Ruffin Bailey wrote:

>>Now the whole building scrolls down: when a floor collapses, a new one
>>enters from the top. Please note that the 16 sprites move independently
>>(and other minor additions).
>
>I am getting a little flicker now when the floor falls, though just for a
>few seconds and just with the highest group of critters.

That's a feature! I make they flicker for a while, so that they don't
appear too unespectedly (..unesp..?!)
It can be changed, if you think it's not a very good effect.

>  Any chance I
>could get you to post some commented code?  I started going through a
>dissembled version (I noticed one lda VAR, adc #$00, sta VAR before I had
>to eat dinner ;), but with the number of updates coming out so quickly...

OK, I'll post it after some cleaning (but grab an Italian dictionary for
the comments :-)

>So what are your ideas for gameplay?  Still planning on bouncing a ball
>to collapse the floors?

To be honest, I don't have a clue :-)
Anyway, I have the cast (4 objects per floor, the building, probably a door
made with the ball), now I need to find the plot.

It is likely that the player will be something bouncing, because I can't do
any animation, and a bouncing thing is better than nothing.

>If anyone gets a chance to look at it, give me a yell!  It's just a
>missile that you can move with the player 1 joystick.  Watch out!  Fancy
>code!  The .bin works on MacStella 0.7 and PCAE I believe.
>       LDX    #$01    ;2
>       STA    HMOVE   ;3 DON'T FORGET TO HIT HMOVE!! or the object won't
>LF08E: STA    WSYNC   ;3 horizontally.  I might have forgotten that for a

Hmmm... shouldn't HMOVE always follow WSYNC? Probably this will work on
emulators, but not on a real 2600.
I think that HMCLR must follow WSYNC too.

Ciao,
 P.