[stella] Razzle frazzin' feldacarb scrommit!!! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!

Subject: [stella] Razzle frazzin' feldacarb scrommit!!! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!
From: Chris Cracknell <crackers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:22:36 -0400 (EDT)
Well, it looks like you're going to get a sneak preview of my Clock Cart.
Because I'm having some problems with it that I just can't get my head
around so I could use a little expert help.

For some reason the animated sprites are going a little wonky on me.
It seems to have something to do with the code for the Hpos. In particular,
the code for the second sprite's position seems to make the first sprite go
completely wonky (and if I stick it's code ahead of the first sprite's code
then it goes wonky).  It's driving me crazy. If I REM out the second
sprite's code, then the first sprite does what it's supposed to do and
the second sprite is positioned where the second sprite in the clock
is (I'm using the same code to position the clock sprites except instead of
a variable Hpos it has a fixed number).

Here's the code

	sta WSYNC	;Position the first anime sprite
	ldx MINS1HP
	lda htable,x
	sta HMP0
	and #$0F
	tax
tp0	dex
	bpl tp0
	sta RESP0
	sta WSYNC
	sta HMOVE

	sta WSYNC	;Position the second anime sprite
	ldx MINS2HP
	lda htable,x
	sta HMP1
	and #$0F
	tax
tp1	dex
	bpl tp1
	sta RESP1
	sta WSYNC
	sta HMOVE

I am at a loss to figure out what is wrong. At first I thought that maybe
I was violating the 25 cycle rule in reguards to writing to the HMOVE.
But wouldn't the WSYNC take care of that? Assuming that it wouldn't I stuck
a whole slew of NOPs inbetween the two codes (using the "Bigger Hammer"
technique here). And still the damn thing was wonky!

Anybody out there got any ideas?

The bin will be in the following e-mail so you can see what I mean.
You'll also get to take a peek at some of the improvements I've made
to the clock. I've fixed the numbers so they shouldn't burn in your screen
if you're running this on a B&W TV. Plus it just looks cool this way.
There will be more animated sprites in the finished version. I'm just trying
to get two working at first before I start adding more.

                                 CRACKERS
                     (Going slowly insane from hell!!!)

--

Collector of Atari 2600 carts - Accordionist - Bira Bira Devotee - Anime fan
***     http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html       | Crackers' Arts Base ***