Re: [stella] Allow me to introduce myself

Subject: Re: [stella] Allow me to introduce myself
From: gej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gene Johannsen)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:44:17 -0700 (PDT)

> >LAMER!
> >
> >We used to have competitions every day in my math class in 8th grade, I
> >could solve the cube in under 30 seconds every time!  Now?  I couldn't do
> >it if I tried...  totally forgot the moves.  I do have a book around
> >somewhere that shows the basic moves though.
>
> I was never able to solve the cube... till about three years ago, when I
> actually found a book at my local library with the moves and such.  I
> average about three minutes now.

	At my best (around '81 or '82) I was probably able to average
	about 45 seconds.  These days I can do it in about a minute and
	fifteen seconds.  I keep a cube in my office and fiddle with it
	all the time.

	Believe it or not the mathematical study of the cube continues
	pretty much unabated.  Look here for some links to cube related
	things:
		http://web.idirect.com/~cubeman/

	Including cube software that will find moves with minimal face
	turns.  I find these fun to play with.

	There is a mailing list for cube lovers:
		cube-lovers-request@xxxxxxxxxx

> I also have an original 4x4x4 cube, which I can solve in under ten minutes
> about half the time.

	The Revenge was fun to play with when it wasn't falling apart.
	I could do it in about 5 minutes.  Most of the time was spent
	just getting all the center squares in place.

gene