[stella] New questions

Subject: [stella] New questions
From: John K Harvey <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:42:10 -0500
Ok, I have some interesting new questions.

1) Why must that DEX thing be at the end of the Kill loop in order to draw
a playfield?
2) Why is my playfield always black (it is on the sides of the screen.
Difficult to see, but it is there)
3)In regards to sound, when I delete the ; before the BNE, it doesn't give
me the effect I want, which is a glissando thru all the frequency values.
Is it going too fast?  Have I forgot something?

-John K. Harvey

Source code:

         processor 6502
         include vcs.h
         ORG $F000

START:  CLD
        SEI
        LDX #$FF
        LDA #0
B1:     STA 0,X
        DEX
        BNE B1
MAIN:   LDX #0
        LDA #2
        STA WSYNC
        STA WSYNC
        STA WSYNC
        STA VSYNC
        STA WSYNC
        STA WSYNC
        LDA #44
        STA TIM64T
        LDA #0
        STA CXCLR
        STA WSYNC
        STA VSYNC
DRAW:
        LDA INTIM
        BNE DRAW
        STA WSYNC
        STA VBLANK
        LDA #3
        STA CTRLPF
        LDY #191
        LDX #239
LOOPER:
        TYA
        LDA #8

        STX COLUBK
        DEX
        DEX
        CPX #$F
        BNE FISH; If colors are that ugly black or that repeating brown, skip
        LDX #239; (255-16)
FISH:

        STA WSYNC; draws one line

        DEY
        BNE LOOPER
        LDA #2
        STA WSYNC
        STA VBLANK

        LDA #32; playfield stuff?  Why won't you work?
        STA COLUPF
        LDA #$10
        STA PF0

        LDA #10
        STA AUDV0
        STA AUDC0
        LDX #10
FOO:
        STX AUDF0
        INX
        CPX #31
        ;BNE FOO;when uncommented, it makes a terrible noise.

KILL:   STA WSYNC
        DEX ; Why must this be here in order to draw a playfield?
        BNE KILL
        JMP MAIN

        ORG $FFFC
        .word START