Re: [stella] sort of a music question.,...

Subject: Re: [stella] sort of a music question.,...
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:15:06 +0100
At 23.28 25/10/98 -0500, Robin Harbron wrote:

>I think the drawing is great :)  Just to clarify, the ADSR
>doesn't have anything to do with the waveform that makes the
>sound, but rather is what defines the volume/amplitude.

Please note that ADSR curves or "envelopes" can be used to shape the sound
in many different ways besides amplitude, you can read a about this in any
text about sound synthesis. Speaking of the 2600, a decay in volume alone
can make a tune sound much better. The combined use of envelopes for both
pitch and volume is the way to get complex and not obvious sound effects.
I think that we've never posted code for sound effects, maybe I'll have to
send some..
A question: how can one get drum sounds from the 2600? Kick, snare,
hi-hat.. :)

>Nick:  I know my opinion doesn't count, but I'd love to see a "crack"
>intro for the A2600.

Please post *anything* you've done..  it's always fun to try new programs
for the 2600 (at least for me..), and someone could have an idea for a game
from someone else's demos.

Ciao,
 P.