Re: [stella] A7800

Subject: Re: [stella] A7800
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:22:56 -0700 (MST)
> n78.gp is the output of maken78.gp.  Its the decimal representation of
> Z.  (Unless of course I've made some mistake.)  288 digits.
>
> So, I'm under the impression that if we can factor this puppy, we can
> reverse the 7800 encryption scheme.  So I've been having gp try to
> factor it for a while...  No luck yet though ;-).
>
> I wonder if there's a way to split up the work of doing the
> factorization, along the lines of Brad's suggestion?

If it turns out to be a real problem, we could submit the problem
to distributed.net and let them distribute the work among all the
willing idle machines on the planet.  That is, if you can convince
them that this problem is more worthwhile than proving that one
RSA-encrypted message can be broken in less than ten years.  It
would certainly be more productive.

I'm hoping it's simpler than that, though.