[stella] A7800

Subject: [stella] A7800
From: Keith W Gerdes <kwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:17:54 -0600 (CST)
A minor correction to my post from yesterday:

 BTW, looking at some cart images, X seems to always be in
 the range 0001.... to 08FF.... -- not that it matters!  ;-)
                       ^^^^

FWIW:
 lowest:  0055....
 highest: 08B6....

 ----

Before getting bogged down with trying to factor Z, could
someone please explain what that will gain??  :-)

I must be overlooking something - if so, I'd like to update my
search program!!  At least try to get done in my lifetime. <g>

 ----

> This number is the product of two PRIMES, correct?

Possibly multiple.
 e.g. 3x7x11=231

But, yes, it's generally two in this scenario.

> make a list of prime numbers up to the length of the product
> and multiply all possibilities until the product is found?

Yeah, you divide each prime value into "Z" until you find
a factor -- the bruteforce method.

I guess you could start at the highest possible factor, Z/2,
and work backwards.  Or work both ways and lower the top bar
as far as possible (/2,/3,/5,/7,etc).

> so there MUST be a list of all known primes somewhere

All the databases I've found only go to a certain number of
digits or max value - less than what's needed here.

> I mean, the Guinness Book of World Records has a record for
> highest known prime number, correct?

Those are Mersenne primes, which can be considered special case.
I'm not sure if anyone is filling in the gaps along the way...

But there should be a database somewhere of all the values in
order to factor Z.