Re: [stella] karate frame generation

Subject: Re: [stella] karate frame generation
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 15:50:52 +0100
At 20:49 02.01.99 +1100, you wrote:
>game myself, having done one yonks ago it's quite appealing.  I am inspired
>by the BIGTWO demo, which allows freeform movement of two 48x48 sprites over
>the screen.

The sprites in BIGTWO are only 42 lines high, because that way one
animation frame fits into one 256 bytes page. Not crossing a page
boundary is important for the timing in the display routine.

Having 100 animation frames is a bit much for the VCS too. The best(*)
cartridge format for a game like this is IMHO the 32 kb format with 3F
bankswitching. Spending 25 kb on animations alone wouldn't leave you
enough room for the game code, I think.

(*) That is until Chris finishes his Megacart of course. ;-)

>(400%) at the far right.  Comparing with the original, it's reasonably OK -
>certainly good enough for a frame of animation in a constantly moving
>fighting game.  I plan to do a dozen or so frames, just to see how they'd

The results look a bit chunky. I think you would need to manually
edit at least the end frames of the animations, since they would be
visible for a longer time.

What you also should take into account is that NTSC TVs have a different
resolution than PAL TVs. While on PAL the pixels are almost squares like
in your graphics, they are higher than wide on NTSC which would make
your graphics look vertically stretched.

>look.  If there's any interest, I will post the results for stella readers
>to examine.

I would be interested, mainly because I'm too lazy to draw all those
animation frames for my fighting game myself and I'm hoping to be
allowed to use your graphics. ;-)

I have programmed a little converting program for VCS sprites, that
takes PCX graphics with a resolution of 320*200*256. Colours between
0 and 127 are treated a pixels and colours between 128 and 255 are
treated as background. If you post your graphics in that format with
every animation frame taking 48*42 pixels starting from the top left
corner, I could put them into my fighting game kernel and you could
see if your graphics would work as animations.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg