RE: [stella] Stella sequencing

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella sequencing
From: slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Russ Perry Jr)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:59:28 -0600
Glenn Saunders wrote:
>Andrew Davie wrote:
>>I'm much more the purist.  The supercharger is bad enough!  I see little
>>point in developing for a (modern-day) expanded 2600.

>But why program with one hand tied behind your back if you don't have to?

Not that I've done any 2600 programming yet, but I think I can answer this
one in a roundabout way: for the same reason demo coders restrict themselves
to 4K even though they've got PCs available to them with 64 Meg of memory --
the challenge of it.

>Writing kernels for the TIA chip in and of itself is challenging enough,
>but why make things worse by intentionally limiting how much memory you
>are going to let your programs occupy?

Also a good question.  I think both approaches can, and perhaps even should,
exist side by side.

>>Sure, you can store gobs more images and have heaps of differing kernals
>>with this memory.  But... why?

Picture something like Puzzle Bubble/Bust A Move...  The gameplay itself
is pretty simplified, and even the coding may not be that difficult, but
how many puzzles can you store in 4K along with the kernel?  I have a PC
version where you can make your own puzzles, but a cart version couldn't
do this really.  On the other hand, you could make a Supercharger version
with lots & lots of puzzles, and be able to load others from add-on CDs or
tapes that are released later on, unsing the original disk's load for the
kernel.  Sometimes bigger is better even when it isn't entirely NECESSARY.

||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||