Re: [stella] Supercharger BIN format

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger BIN format
From: bwmott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:02:43 -0500 (EST)
>> I thought I understood the 8448 file format of the Supercharger bins,
>> however, it looks like I don't :-)  Does anyone have detailed information
>> about the contents of these files?
>
> I  haven't looked at them in  ages...
>
> What seems to be the problem`?

For some reason I was under the impression that the 8448 file format was
a direct image of what was supposed to be read into SC RAM, however, as
Eckhard's message points out this is not necessarily the case.  The current
SC emulation in Stella reloads all 6K of RAM with new contents upon a
multi-load, however, this doesn't work with Escape from the Mindmaster.
It looks like the 2nd and 3rd load of Mindmaster contain only 3K of data
and not all 6K.  Since Stella doesn't look at the number of pages listed in
the header it loads all 6K and thus after the 2nd load Mindmaster
crashes :-)

To fix this problem I wanted to make sure I understrand the 8448 file
format completely.  I believe there's enough information in Eckhard's
post to correct the SC emulation in Stella.

Thanks,
Brad

Bradford W. Mott (bwmott@xxxxxxx)          Computer Science Department
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~bwmott/www           North Carolina State University