Re: [stella] Supercharger screens...

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger screens...
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:31:42 +0100
At 11:04 08.01.99 -0500, you wrote:

>mode and jumps to the start of the code.  What do you all think
>about putting in code to "emulate" the starfield screens and the
>progress bar screen?  This would give a little more of the
>original Supercharger feel to the games.

I think the progress bars to symbolize loading and maybe a flashing
'rewind' screen in cases where the BIN doesn't contain the requested
load would be nice to have, especially since each SC-BIN contains
a value for the progress bars and SC load time is very short in
general.

I'm not so sure about a 'press play' screen, at least not if it
requires user interaction. That might annoy people because it isn't
really nessessary and it doesn't feel like starting a real tape
player anyway.

The problem with rewriting these screens is, that you might need some
RAM, but I don't know which part of the RAM the SC uses for the starfield
screen and which part of RAM it leaves intact. If Dan Boris really has
the SC BIOS dumped, you might be able to get the real starfield routines
out of it.

While you are working on Stella:
Would it be possible to have a line counter that counts the overall
number of scanlines in a frame. You could output the number of scanlines
for the last completed frame together with the number of frames per
second when Stella exits to DOS.

And if you could update the handling of the multisprite trick, that
would be very nice too. ;-)

Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg