Re: [stella] Some more questions

Subject: Re: [stella] Some more questions
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:42:18 +0100
At 10:41 09.01.99 -0800, you wrote:

>1)  The book I'm reading did not explain this:  what is a kernal?

In the stella programmer's guide the part of code that actually outputs
the 192 scanlines of graphics is referred to as kernel.

>2)  If letters must be drawn out by the graphics engine, what about
>numbers, like for a score display?

The VCS has a line based architecture. The TIA has only enough memory
to hold the data for one scanline of graphics. The TIA will output
this scanline over and over again until you change the graphic registers
or you stop the output completely.

If you want to display a letter, a number or something else you must
for example position a sprite on the screen and then change the
graphics register for that sprite in every scanline where you want
the graphics to change.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg