Re: [stella] Supercharger BIN format

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger BIN format
From: Bob Colbert <retroware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:51:57 -0600
Hi,
	I thought I'd post this snippet from my web page regarding the
Supercharger format.  I know the problem has been addressed, but I think
that there was one mistake regarding the "bank byte"  so the info is
reproduced here.  Using what Eckhard wrote will work for MOST loads, but
there is one load
for sure that uses calculated bank bytes, but I don't remember which.

Contents:
   byte # Description
   ------ -----------
   1      Start Address Lo-Byte
   2      Start Address Hi-Byte
   3      Control Byte
            This is the control byte,
            it determines the bankswitching
            mode of the SC.

            Bits        Function
            ------      --------
            D7-D5       Write Pulse Delay (Set to 0)
            D4-D2       RAM/ROM Configuration

                        Value     $f000     $f800
                        -----     -----     -----
                         000        3        ROM
                         001        1        ROM
                         010        3         1
                         011        1         3
                         100        3        ROM
                         101        2        ROM
                         110        3         2
                         111        2         3

   4      # of pages to load
	  (1 page = 256 bytes)

   5      Data Header Checksum
	    The 8 bytes in the Data Header must
            add up to #$55 (hex).

   6      Multi-load byte
            Zero for single-load games.  For Multi-Load
          games you need to know what value the game is
          looking for.  For Supercharger 8448 byte files
          this value is contained in the file.

   7      Lo-byte Bar Speed byte
            This is the lo-byte of the speed at which
          the bars move across the screen upon loading
          the game.  Supercharger Fastload uses #$42.

   8      Hi-byte Bar Speed byte
            This is the hi-byte of the speed at which
          the bars move across the screen upon loading
          the game.  Supercharger Fastload uses #$02.

Section: Page Header

Contents:

   byte # Description
   ------ -----------
   1      Bank Byte - Tells Supercharger where to load
          the current page (256 bytes) into. This is
          determined as follows:

            Bank Byte Bits:  7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
                              \_______/   \/
                               Page #    Bank #

          For example, a page loaded into bank 3, page 4
          would have a page # of 000100 and a bank # of
          11, combining these together you get 00010011
          for a Bank Byte of #$13.  The simple formula to
          calculate the Bank Byte is:

                 (Page # * 4) + Bank #

   2      Page Checksum - This byte is equal to:
                #$55 - (sum of all 256 bytes in page)

Section:  Data Page

Contents: 256 bytes of data
.
.
.

The Page Header and Data Page sections are repeated
for each page in the file to be loaded.

Hope this helps!

				Bob