Re: [stella] Supercharger screens...

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger screens...
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:09:27 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>At 19:13 14.01.99 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>Mostly, a classic VCS with a Rev-9 board.  How about you?  (I'm really
>>hoping it's an Atari JR, that would explain a lot...)
>
>I'm mostly using a 'big rainbow' Jr. and that one gives me only two
>sprites. But I also tried it on a 6-switch model with a Rev-B board.
>(The main board is (C)78, the board for the switches is (C)77.) This
>one also gives me only two sprites. Maybe it's a change Atari did
>when they had to modify the TIA for PAL and later when they tried to
>cut down costs for the JR. How does your JR handle your trick18
>program and your 'not stable' program?

Well, the JR only shows 17 sprites in Trick18, and the unstable sprites
don't show up.  I wonder why I didn't try this sooner...

>p.s. Nice work on all those tables and diagrams, John! Now you only
>need to try out the wrapping sprites and HBLANK problem and Bradford
>can update his emulator. ;-)

You did at least as much of the work as I did!  And I couldn't have done
anything without a template to work from. :-)

As far as wrapping sprites go, there is some data on that in what I
posted yesterday.  They mostly seem to work just like a regular sprite.
I took another look at unstable.bin and it looks like the unstable
sprite is a sprite marked cccccccc in the (d-1) spacing.  Apparently a
wrapped sprite is a little *stronger* than a regular sprite in this case
causing the other sprite to be unstable.  But since it doesn't show up
on the JR at all, I think an emu author can probably show it or not show
it as they please.  Other than that, I think a sprite is a sprite.
Doesn't matter where it came from.

Boy, we've certainly beat this one to death haven't we?  So what do you
think Brad?  Does it look pretty easy? ;-)

John