Re: [stella] One Bit Sound?

Subject: Re: [stella] One Bit Sound?
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 23:05:58 -0800
At 12:26 AM 2/10/99 -0500, Schwerin wrote:
>The other option would be to "model by clay" a custom audio ouput through
>various register stores to the audio registers (a linear piecewise
>synthesis).  This, however, is mind bogglingly complex, and doesn't
>guarantee any specific level of fidelity to the original waveform.

What you are describing may relate to how the Pitfall II cartridge creates
sound.  If you want an example of the penultimate of what the 2600 sound
generators can do, the DPC chip is what allows that.

I doubt that what you want could be done without extra hardware given the
6507's clock speed and its everpresent task of updating the kernel.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page         http://users.cnmnetwork.com/~krishna    ==