Re: [stella] Big Balls

Subject: Re: [stella] Big Balls
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:51:07 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 1999 6:02 AM

>At 10:09 14.02.99 -0800, you wrote:
>>I guess it's not too surprising that you can get multiple copies of a
>>ball graphic to show up on a line, but at least on my VCS, these balls
>>are 9 pixels wide.  They're set to be 8 pixels wide and I do a RESBL
>
>I get a solid line on my VCS too. This trick gets weirder every day.
>Are the ball graphics really 9 pixels wide or are they even wider?
>Have you tried other spacings than 3 cycles yet?

I'm not sure how wide they *really* are.  But when I try a 4 cycle delay
things look *normal*.  Looks like 2 8 pixel balls separated by 4 pixels.

When I play some games in the HBLANK area, I can test delays of 1 and 2
cycles.  2 cycles seems *normal*.  The balls overlay each other when
they're wide (no gaps), and appear next to each other when they're
narrow.

1 cycle delay gets interesting.  Behavior depends on the width of the
balls.  At widths 4 and 8 the balls overlay each other.  At widths 1 and
2, the first ball disappears.  I've attached the tests of 1 cycle at
widths 2 and 4 in case you wanted to see.  Please let me know if you see
something different though...

I haven't done much testing with wrapped balls, that start on the right
side of the screen and finish on the left side.  It's harder to do, and
I doubt if it happens much in real games. :-)  To tell the truth, I'm
not sure if *any* of this stuff actually happens in real games.  But I
thought the line drawing trick was neat.

>I wonder how the trick works with double or quatruple width player
>graphics.

I don't know.  I have been assuming that since I've never seen multiple
players with NUSIZ=0 that I would never see them with double or
quadruple width, but maybe nothing is safe to assume!

John